I was doing some research yesterday on disruption, when I ran across a couple of companies, or ‘groups’ that do disruption coaching, management, or whatever you want to call it, for clients both big and small.
One of their main offerings was anti-disruption.
I laughed. Out loud.
This is nothing against the disruption groups, really; I understand the pull to offer such services to companies. I’m sure there are lots of status quo businesses out there that are feeling the strain and loss of market share that disruption brings. It’s understandable that older corporations and companies would want to resist and try to stave off this disruption.
But there IS no anti-disruption. It is a myth.
What these disruption groups are actually selling, I imagine, is disruption coaching in disguise as anti-disruption.
There can be no resistance to the flow of Chaos and Disruption. Any company that attempts to resist disruption, is dead in the water, waiting to sink.
The only true anti-disruption is disruption itself.
The only way to resist the disruptive forces in the marketplace, is to become one of those forces. To do otherwise is to believe in your ability to swim against the current. It is a deadly belief. You may not. You cannot. You will drown.
The new disruptive ideas of doing business aren’t passing fads; they are the new paradigm. If you do not turn around and swim with the current, embrace the change, you will be swept away like many others, and cease to exist. That’s all the fuck there is to it.
Are you a Disruptor? Or Sinking Ship?
Your company is a Titanic, and headed for an iceberg, if:
- You think more advertising will bring you back to your former position in the market.
- You think your employees are a cost of doing business.
- You think that customer service is a cost of doing business.
- You think that work is synonymous with sitting in an office chair for 40, 50, or more hours per week.
- You think that time is money.
- You think that productivity has a 1/1 ratio to time.
- You think that productivity is linked to more and more effort.
- You think that your shareholders are the most important people in your business.
- You think your product or service is your business.
- You are under the false impression that your employees’ health, wealth, and well-being are not part of your business.
- You think that people and employees respond favorably to rewards and punishments.
- You think that you can externalize costs: to your employees, the environment, to anywhere.
- You think you can hide, lie, cheat, or cut corners and get away with it.
If you or your company work on any of these outmoded beliefs, you are a Titanic, and you are racing into a field of icebergs. You are not Disruptors. Disruptors are shaking up all of those ridiculous notions, and they are kicking ass.
Will all disrupting companies make it? Of course not. There’s a lot more to business than just shaking up the status quo. But if you aren’t attempting to shake it up, you’re drowning in the river trying to swim upstream.
This is not a new phenomenon; it’s a very old one. New companies have been innovating for centuries, and upsetting their predecessors. It is a very old story.
The difference now, is that anyone with a computer or smartphone can create a business over night and threaten the status quo, and they are doing it, every fuckin’ day.
There are no great gateways through which one must pass in order to build a massive, world-shaking business, anymore. The internet has all but obliterated those obstructions. The only thing holding new, and old, companies back are Fears: Fears of failure, inadequacy, chaos, and a host of others.
All of those outmoded beliefs, above, are based in Fear, too. Every one of them.
Fear is my business. Or I should say, Kicking Fear’s Ass is my business. There is nothing more disruptive than bringing about an End to Fear Itself.
Without Fear, you can accomplish, ANYTHING. You can, your business can, anyone can.
That’s why I’m a disruption coach. It’s why I am writing a book on Fear and how we can overcome it.
If you truly want advice on how to deal with disruption, then you need a coach that won’t lie to you, that won’t tell you that anti-disruption exists. It doesn’t. You either innovate and become a disruptor, or you will be relegated to the dustbins of history. I’m an historian by training, so trust me on this one.
The only anti-disruption, is disruption itself.
The best place to start, if you want to become a disruptor, is to hire a coach who will figure out what your Fears are, and help you dispel them. Now! To wait, is to try to stand still in the river. Good luck with that.
Let’s get started, today! Shake some shit up! Be a disruptor!